Sunday, September 4, 2011

More Usage, Same Cost - Boom!


This is the next in the installment of home bandwidth usage here at chez Kaplow.

In http://kaplowtech.blogspot.com/2011/02/other-countdownthe-consumer-usage-bomb.html, I took a first look at the bandwidth utilization trend in my house.  I was concerned that I was on the path of being an “excessive” bandwidth user.

Next, in http://kaplowtech.blogspot.com/2011/04/other-countdown-is-back.html, the trend continued it is appeared that in just a few months the bandwidth police from Comcast was going to raid my house to turn off my bandwidth hogging toys.

So, where do I stand today?


As the graph shows, my usage has varied significantly since my last posting on this topic.  The suspicious drops in April and May could possibly be attributed to my oldest Son preparing for final examinations at school, with the rebound in June as my Sons and I return to Netflix and Xbox Live.

Even with these dips is it clear that in the first six months of the above period the average usage was approximately 70 GBytes transferred per month and in the succeeding six months this average rose to 120 GBytes transferred, a 70% increase.  So, at the very least, even though I did not reach the 250 GByte limit, I certainly represent an increase in demand on the Comcast distribution network and of course the Internet itself.

The Least Squares fit of the data currently predicts that in June of 2012, I should expect that knock on my Internet door for excessive use.

So far, Comcast has not increased the price of my Internet service.   However, as it is less likely (as it is for others) for me to order additional cable-based video on-demand services or premium channels (due to Netflix and other Internet-based content services), a service provider like Comcast would appear to be in a bind.  To keep the same earnings and profit margin with revenue capped or declining and competition for Internet services increasing (both from wireline and wireless providers) a provider has to either reduce their costs (e.g., efficiency) or increase prices.

For many 3G and now 4G wireless customers, much smaller bandwidth quotes with significant overage fees are de rigor.  Any predictions on price increases or other service changes for wired Internet service?

No comments: