Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Consumer Internet Usage Cap Bomb No More or Just Delayed?



Well, it looks like my predictions on when I would exceed the bandwidth cap where pretty accurate. In my post in September 2011, I predicted that in June 2012 I would hit the cap:

http://kaplowtech.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-usage-same-cost-boom.html

In an earlier post, I predicted the end of 2011:

http://kaplowtech.blogspot.com/2011/02/other-countdownthe-consumer-usage-bomb.html

As a recap, in September 2010, I used 40 GBytes, in June 2012 248 GBytes, a 620% increase. However, at the same time, my cost for Internet service went up maybe 10% or so. Yikes for ISP margins, how close are we to the breaking point where prices are going to have to go up significantly?

I am sure that thousands already smashed the cap and Comcast was faced with what to do. Stick to the previous threats and shut down customers, raise the limit, or get another plan?

The note on the Comcast User Account website says it all. Now what is in store?

Enjoy,Wesley



No comments: